GREMLIN CONTINUES TO BE PRESENT MAKING DRIVING UNSAFE

Just yesterday I was finally able to pull the glove box down and mess around with the pink wire from the steering column to just above the ECM as some suggested I do. I did not have time to go to the purple wire or any other wires or start removing anything and shifting things around but will do more of this in coming days and weeks outside the GS Nationals as time permits. I moved it back and forth, pulled on it, did everything I could think of whiile the car was idling in the driveway and nothing happened as of yet.

Thanks for the time on your post. I will be working to have the PL with me every time and what I may try to do if I have not found the smoking gun is turn it one when I brake, turn left, turn right and see if it shows up. If not, I will just have to keep it ready for when it takes place and hit the record button asap once it happens and I am hopefully not in a lot of traffic and can get off the road. The ONLY times it has ever happened is when I am braking hard or fairly hard or turning and speed is decreasing. I have yet to see it take place upon acceleration or just constant speed, cruise control on, etc...its always more in a declining spead situation and can be at 20mph or 50mph and in various weather conditions and various amounts of time on the road from 10 minutes to maybe 45 minutes.
When you think back on it happening while turning, was it consistently a left or right turn or was it in both directions? Does the car sit lower than the average GN? Do you have an aftermarket adjustable chip?

Don't discount any of these scenarios above. Check on all of them. Mine was a corroded full pump harness in the tank that lost power at the fuel pump. Those little pins aren't much to begin with and when corrosion gets going it makes for a bad day. No fun when it dies cruising down the highway.
Lots of things can and will go wrong in vehicles this old. Being good with a meter and knowing the wiring and where it goes and what it does is real handy.

I am original owner of this garage kept 90% original, stock show car that has 116,000 miles on it. I have a Powerlogger hooked up but no other after market gages. There is no chance of any water getting inside the car or ECM. It seems like it happens more on a left turn or breaking hard with no turn. I am not sure I can remember it quiting on a right hand turn but it may have. It is so seldom (which is good it is also bad) it is hard to find a pattern. It could happen in a week, month or not for another year. I did hook up Powerlogger today and took it for a "spirited" 20 minute drive. I made some turns, hit the brakes hard a few times at various speed and of course the car range great and it did not quit on me. I am going to mess around with more of the wires and go a bit further down into the ECM area and above it and deeper and behind the glove box.

You'll want to log fuel pressure if possible but due to the nature of your issue keep logging and maybe it'll catch a sync error or something to help narrow this down for you.

Usually the coil pack gets hot and can cause issue or a random wire in that main connector to the module so try this....

Car running, start gently tugging on module wires in the connector and see what happens, might be a loose pin etc.

I think Bob Bailey or some other GN guru on here has a whole detailed way of checking this better than, tug on wire. Haha

Do you modify any chip settings via PL? If so, have you checked to see if the settings are still set after this happens? IE - did the ECM lose power.

For years, I had a similar issue with my GN, where it would just die driving down the road. It would start back up after few minutes. This would happen 2-3 times a year. My issue was two fold, first the bigger plug that goes into the ECM had a loose wire in it. I figured this out by wiggling every wire that was in the plug and touching one of them made the car shudder and die. But the car still would die while driving so next I just replaced the ECM box with one from a super low mileage GN and the issue went away permanently. You will need to go through all of the scenarios others have posted, I'm certain your issue is one of them. Good luck.

Thanks to all for the well thought out replies, much appreciated. I really want to find this issue soon as the car show season has begun and I don't want to keep looking over my shoulder every time I get it out and have to drive in the right lane.

Few follow ups to your comments; We have original ECM and have not modified it other than installing the Powerlogger. I have not tried to alter or play around with any chip through use of the Powerlogger. Since my original post on this topic I have not had time to pull the ECM or get down and dirty with all the wires to it yet, but will soon, probably later this month after the GS Nats. I will be there but not with this particular vehicle.

Thanks again fellow GN owners !

I am original owner of this garage kept 90% original, stock show car that has 116,000 miles on it. I have a Powerlogger hooked up but no other after market gages. There is no chance of any water getting inside the car or ECM. It seems like it happens more on a left turn or breaking hard with no turn. I am not sure I can remember it quiting on a right hand turn but it may have. It is so seldom (which is good it is also bad) it is hard to find a pattern. It could happen in a week, month or not for another year. I did hook up Powerlogger today and took it for a "spirited" 20 minute drive. I made some turns, hit the brakes hard a few times at various speed and of course the car range great and it did not quit on me. I am going to mess around with more of the wires and go a bit further down into the ECM area and above it and deeper and behind the glove box.
Do you have an aftermarket chip?